Tuesday, 3 June 2014

Geometric Living: Interview with Homes & Gardens Young Designer of the Year Lindsey Lang



I discovered Lindsey Lang at Design Junction 2013, as part of the London Design Festival. I was totally taken with her clever geometric patterns, with their nod to 60's Op art (reminding me very much of Sydney Harry), and classic Marimekko, which lift cement tiles from something functional and often mundane, to really very lovely.

Recently named 'Young Designer of the Year' at the Homes & Gardens Designer Awards 2014, Lindsey's designs decorate a gorgeous range of kitchen and home accessories, but I think they really sing on a grand scale when they are across a whole floor or wall as tiles, with really beautiful, but equally, really liveable pattern. This lady can teach everyone a few things about bringing colour and pattern into everyday living. Move over subway tiles, your time is up!

I caught up with Lindsey to ask her a few questions about her work - I think she may just have my idea of a dream life right now...

CLM: You trained as a Fine Artist, how did you make the change to surface design?
LL: Well, actually my Degree is a Bachelors of Fine Arts in Textile Design with a focus on print and weave. At the University of Kansas, they considered Textile Design to be in the Fine Art category. The thing that really changed my perspective was when I transferred to Central Saint Martins College of Art and Design and finished my degree here in London where Textiles comes more from a commercial perspective. So, the odd thing was that I landed a job in graphic design after university. After working my way up to become design director at a graphic design agency in London, I realised that what I really wanted was to go back to my textile roots and launch my own company.

CLM: What inspires you?
LL: I am constantly surrounded by loads of things that inspire me. It could be architecture, fashion, typography, vintage clothing shops, or anything and everything I see. I try my best to always keep my eyes open and stay inquisitive. My whole family makes fun of me because when I am travelling in a car or train it is as if I don't hear a thing. My mind just goes into la la land while I stare out the window for hours and drift off into imagination.

CLM: What would you dream house look like? Where would it be? 
LL: This might sound quite annoying but my husband and I are building our dream home right now! I am sure that I could dream bigger, but at the moment we are working to restore our 102 year old dutch barge which is moored on the river Thames.…2 bathroom, 2 bedroom and a life surrounded by nature in the middle of London…I couldn't ask for anything more. It is totally a building site at the moment but will be glorious when it's finished!


 
CLM: If your tiles or homewares could feature in anyone’s house, who would it be?
LL: Ha, I really have no idea because I love each project like it's my own… I suppose I am sort of a nerd in admitting this but, I would love it if my tiles or kitchenwares were owned by Ina Garten from Barefoot Contessa. My guilty pleasure is watching the food network and cooking delicious dishes whenever I have a spare moment.

"Make colourful meals, in a colour filled kitchen."  - Lindsey Lang

CLM: Where do you shop for your home? Who are your favourite designers or brands?
LL: Retail shops like West Elm, Selfridges, John Lewis, Heals…and if it is online shopping then I might buy from Clippings.com or Monoqi.

CLM: What’s next for Lindsey Lang?
LL: I am so sorry but, I can't really tell you much about anything at the moment! You'll have to stay tuned! All I can really say is that I have been working on 5 different collections in the past 3 months…all for completely different projects! There will be loads of new products by the end of this year, some of which will be launching in September during the London Design Festival at Design Junction. The brand is really expanding this year which has been very exciting. Life's good.

Exciting times, can't wait to see the new products, and I think I might just have spent my savings on Clippings.com...

Thanks so much Lindsey!

See the full range at www.lindseylang.co.uk 



LindseyLang_Yellow_encaustic_Ellipse



LindseyLang_Ellipse_Blue&Grey_Encaustic_Context"



all images lindseylang.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment