Tuesday, 11 February 2014

Book Two

That, there, opposite our house. See?


Because a friend pointed out that this isn't even a second chapter of my life, this is a whole next volume.  Duh duh duuuuuuuuuuuh, we've moved to the country. We've been humming and hawing about it since we met, and now, 2 homes, a wedding and 2 children down the line, we finally bit the bullet and went feral rural in Norfolk.

After 18 years in London, this was no easy choice, and even now, 3 months in, I'm not going to lie, it's not a dream ride, it's not easy starting pretty much anew, but it was definitely the Right Decision.

When we eat hot sausage rolls on cold wintry Sunday mornings on the beach, and when I drive through the open fields on my way to M's nursery (6 miles, 9 minutes, passing an average of 6 cars - read it and weep Londoners), I breathe deep and smile inside. Not to mention the dream playgroup with real coffee and home-made cake every week - we're a long way from Brixton Toto.

Then of course there's the house. Naturally we were looking for a country pile with acres of grounds, then we realised we could have a spacious, if not terribly pretty, 4 bed, 2 living room, 2 office, house in the town with good schools, for less than our 3 bed flat in Herne Hill, it was kind of a no-brainer. The point was to move upwards, and get space, but not max out the mortgage (we could have done that in Catford), and that's what we have done. And did I mention I have my OWN OFFICE?

So we've had a real project, turning a 1970's box into something pretty, all of which I shall share anon. But suffice it to say we know we did good when Max jumps up and down in the living room saying "I can jump as much as I like because there's no one downstairs!"

Moved to the country, gonna eat a lot of peaches xx

No comments:

Post a Comment