Sunday, 7 April 2013

Mother Lovin': A labour of love

Max. 11 Days.
It is 4am and my infrequent contractions tell me I'm at the beginnings of labour, what better to do than finish the post that I had been thinking about a lot in the last week?

Following this brilliant article by Sarah Morgan on Sali Hughes' new website, and being a few hours  off second-time-motherhood myself, and a little preoccupied with the subject, I want to share some of my love for some other mothers.  Mothers who talk about the motherhood that I understand. I'm not talking Mumsnet forum trolls here, who insist that their opinion is the right one - thereby missing the point of the forum at all, which serves to show that as EVERY opinion is on there is different, you will not find your answer here, other than the over-riding answer to them all, which is 'It's all normal, everyone has entirely different experiences so you're normal too, your answer is not on the internet. Now be on your way'.

I'm talking about women who have talent-filled, creative lives and manage to fit being a mother into them, and are happy to talk about motherhood frankly, with all the fear and guilt and discomfort and joy and wonder that entails. The list should be longer, full of my friends (and my own Mum), who inspire me every day, but we'll keep it at those whose articles I seek out on a regular basis. I'll let you discover them for yourselves.

Cara - Peonies & Polaroids
Bailey  - Peppermint Bliss (quote in image above from this post)
Lucy Mangan
Sali Hughes 
Ayozie
Harriet - Free Our Kids 

And while we're at it, let's not forget the brilliant Mother's Prayer by Tina Fey, always worth re-reading.

See you on the other side xx 

No comments:

Post a Comment