Monday, 28 February 2011

Pretty in the City: East London

I've had this idea knocking about for a couple of years now. It began because I was living in Shoreditch in East London, which is a hive for artistic types. So often we'd be out for a walk, even just popping to the shop for a pint of milk, and there would be some new art, often illegal, but also often cheeky, beautiful and always interesting. In my head I started calling it 'Pretty in the City', and it's come to include other surprising beauty on the street, whether it's some interesting decorative tiling long since forgotten, or sometimes even 'proper' commissioned street art. Anyway, let me catch you up on some of the photos I've taken which I consider PITC.

Off Redchurch St, Shoreditch

Clever fingers, Waterson St, Shoreditch

Gated entrance to council estate, Pitfield Street, Hoxton - go Hackney council!

Art installation - the monsters are coming! Curtain Road, Hoxton

Levi's Advert installation, Old Street, Shoreditch

Graffiti, Great Eastern Street, Shoreditch

Shepard Fairey poster, Norwich

Side of a garage, Homerton, Hackney

Possibly my favourite so far, beautiful graffiti birds of paradise, on a wall on Regent's Canal in Dalston. The words say 'Just be thankful for what you got'. Yes indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment